Friday, May 14, 2010

1st week in Shenzhen...

Let's see...what can i say about my first week? Besides the work and learning new stuff, i'm actually hating it. Seriously. FB, Blogger, Youtube and other social networking sites are BANNED. 'Nuff said.

Having a mentor to guide me thru my new job is good...until the language barrier pops up (and it happens frequently). And although you're not supposed to correct your mentor or anyone who's supposed to teach you something, i just can't help but to (automatically) correct his English. GAWD! the linguistic capability of locals here really leaves much to be desired. But on the bright side, there are HOWLERS that leave me absolutely speechless (because of extreme 'duh'ness and/or mistranslation). HAHAHA. Sometimes you just need to leave your station/cubicle in the office just to let it (laughter) RIP...and yes, i have been stared at for laughing at myself in the toilet, while washing my hands. HAHAHA.

Food here also is very different from KL/Malaysia standards, and although it's cheap, but i find myself missing my usual sandwiches/salads/sushi and STARBUCKS. Tell you what, the first sight of Starbucks in Shenzhen left me almost crying for joy. LOL. There is a God in this universe :)

One thing i disagree with is the concept of "Life = Work, Work = Life" that is practiced here by the locals (either young or old). But understanding the logic behind that concept is this - there are PLENTY of people waiting to take up the job that one local is in, so to support themselves and/or their family, they (the locals) are stuck with their jobs. But come on! There's more to life than just talking about work work work during office hours. Where's the human element? (by the way, all conversations in office take place in Mandarin, not my most proficient language).

As for the promised photo blog, due to the unexpected (honestly!) boo-boo on my part for assuming (shouldn't have done that) that FB and Blogger would be available in China; i'm currently FB/Blog/Youtube-less and life's an absolute bore! I'll go to HK to access all 3 sites so just be patient. I do have some pics waiting to be uploaded.

And since i'm using a relative's laptop to blog/FB/etc, i should be more time conscious to finish ASAP and will continue at a later date (next weekend definitely). Till then...

Be Good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment