Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ching Ming @ Chinese All Souls Day - 5th April 2010

The time has come again for the chinese faithful to do their obliged filial duty to parents, family members, and ancestors who have since passed on. In memoriam and to honour my grandparents on both sides, let this be a fond look back into my history.

Ah Por (Mum's Mother) :
Dearest Ah Por, my memories of you stretches back to my babyhood, childhood and young teens. I'll remember how you cooked in the kitchen, doing your magic on the food and kitchen utensils. The way you made pan mee seem so easy to make, and so delicious too. How you'd beat my arms and scold when i was stubborn and/or naughty. How you'd wipe my face clean after food and after coming back from school. How you mended each tear in my clothes with the needle and thread although your eyesight wasn't so good. And through all the time, i thought that you liked me less than my siblings. How mistaken i was. Seeing your face as you grew sicker and later on your deathbed, i wished that i could have done something to ease your suffering and pain. If only i studied medicine so i could heal you. All i can only hope for is that you rest in peace, and that you are comforted being reunited with Ah Kung and your family members in the afterlife.

Ah Kung (Mum's Father) :
Dear Ah Kung, i may have been too young to remember you in full, but one particular memory stands out like a beacon of light. How you'd rock me on your lap as you had your tea, played mahjong and smoked, all at the same time. And i'm sure that your love extended to one of your littlest grandkids; me. The stories that Ah Por told me, jie jie and kor kor about you would bring laughter to us, and i'm glad to have had you as a grandpa. How your chinese scholar stature brought respect to your family. As with Ah Por, may you be happy in the afterlife with your loved ones.

Nai Nai (Dad's Mother) :
Dear Nai Nai @ Grandma, you passed on when i was 9 or 10. I'd remember the times you'd give me extra pocket money from your marketing/grocery allowance. How you'd replenish my rice bowl with more rice when our family came over for dinner at your place. How you'd give me drinks from the fridge when mum and dad wasn't looking. How your favorite dish (fish) would be my favorite dish too. I'm grateful to also have you as a grandmother and that your love extended to me. Hope you're happily reunited with Yeh Yeh and your family members in the afterlife.

Yeh Yeh (Dad's Father) :
Yeh Yeh, my dear grandpa whom i didnt get to know properly. Only memory that remains is the legacy of the business you left behind to one of your sons. I really regret not having any fond thoughts about you, but i'm sure you loved all your grandkids. All other elder cousins do have good memories about you, so I'm sure you must have been a good granddad. Wishing that you and Nai Nai, and your other family members are together in the afterlife.

After all that rambling, it feels good to put all my fondest thoughts about my forebears into words. I can only hope that as i go along each day in my life, all of you are watching my steps, and continue to love and bless me from the other side. Your grandson here loves you, and misses you every now and then. I'll never forget my past, and how it has moulded and developed me into who i am today. Thank you for giving me my parents. Thanks be to God who plans and brings his plans to fruition as well. May You grant them a peaceful rest after their labours here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment